Thursday, June 10, 2010

A new beginning

The title of this blog came from a book "Why Does My Mother's Day Potted Plan Always Die?" by Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard (Deseret Books). It's about motherhood and travels through four seasons of a year of being a mother. Funny and heartwarming-things I can't seem to do when writing about mothering.
I do have a theory about the dead plant though, it is symbolic of motherhood, sometimes things just don't work out no matter how much care you give. Children will go their own way and sometimes it isn't the same road they were raised on. Other times it just that non-essentials are not addressed, like being busy playing with the children trumps watering a plant.
I've started re-reading it...she has reminded me of what I believed about motherhood when I had the wee ones running around. She talks about having children when people contend that having them restricts us as women and self-indulgent. I like her thought "Yes, my family takes up my space. Yes, it takes up my time. But it is also my family that has given me everything to feel and something to say" (1988, p.29). I think that is what this blog is for, families, children and being a mom and a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment