Thursday, May 10, 2012

For my Uncle George I'm cycling 200km

In just over a month I'll be riding my bicycle for over 200km (about 124 miles) in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies. I'm thrilled with the chance to do this ride, I've wanted to do this ever since I heard about it a few years ago.

I'm a terrible fundraiser for myself, I can ask for donations for school councils but not for my projects. And this is a project. I have to be fit to endure the length of time I'll be in the saddle,  I have to learn how to ride up hills without wheezing, I had to have my bike professionally fitted (so important to have done and was worth the dollars spent) and collect the clothing and equipment for the actual trip. Those are the easy parts of this project. The hard part is fundraising. I need your help, please donate so that I can do the ride. If I don't raise the $2500.00 minimum I cannot ride. I have raised only $965 and there is about 44 days left! Here is my personal page: www.conquercancer.ca/goto/libbyolson where online donations can be made. You can also see all the people I am riding for.


I'm especially riding for my Uncle George who is fighting cancer right now. Dr. George Beaton spent his career years helping improve life for everyone else nutritionally. He helped develop a relief diet for the United Nations to aid malnourished refugees, researched iron supplementation for infants, children and women of childbearing years, identified the effectiveness of Vitamin A supplement in reducing child morbidity & mortality in developing countries and a couple of years ago was awarded the Order of Canada for his work. I'm going to display his name on my jersey's back. Dr. George Beaton helped the world and now I'm going to help him.

Who would you have me ride for? 
Let me know. And donate for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment